Submit a complaint

  • What should I know?

    Before making a complaint it is advisable to read the Code of Practice. It is short and written in intelligible language. If you feel that you have been offended by any publication or radio-television transmission and you seek the right of rebuttal, you should first apply to the publication or radio-tv station.

    If your request is not satisfied, you may proceed with the lodging of a complaint to the Cyprus Committee of Media Ethics.

    A complaint must be made within a month of the publication or transmission or from the point in time at which you took cognizance of it.

  • How do I submit a complaint?

    Lodging a complaint to the Cyprus Committee of Media Ethics for breaching of the Code of Practice is simple and easy.

    Complaints can be either made in writing and by posting the letter to the address of the CME provided in this page, or submit your complaint electronically by clicking the Compaints Form. Alternatively you can fax it to 22427747.

    It is free and secure.

    You do not need a lawyer but if you feel you need the services of a lawyer you can make your complaint through one of your choice.

    If you have any queries after reading this, you can call 22427717 during office hours.

    When submitting a complaint make sure that it is as clear and concrete as possible. Point out which parts of the Code of Practice you believe have been breached.

    If a publication were involved, you should send by post a copy to the CME. If it were a radio or TV broadcast and you have a taped copy, it would be helpful to send it to the CME, giving details as to the date of the publication or the broadcast.

  • What happens after I have submitted my complaint?

    The CME is not a judicial body -though in examining a complaint it takes care to hear both sides and possibly witnesses if any are proposed- and therefore it does not adjudicate damages. It only decides whether a publication or broadcast does violate any provisions of the Code of Practice.

    The CME may ask the offending party to make amends, to give the complainant the chance of rebuttal or to ask for its decision to be published.

    If you are seeking any damages, you should apply to a court of law.
    In such a case, the CME cannot examine the same complaint for as long as the matter is sub-judice.

    When a complaint has been made, the CME may ask for complementary information or clarification.

    If such information or clarification is not necessary, the CME will try to secure amends, if this is what the complainant wishes. Otherwise, it will ask the other party to supply the material which has been named as offending and will call both sides to state their case.

    After both sides have been heard, the CME will decide whether a breach of the Code of Practice has taken place and will proceed according to the provision of the Code.